Make yourself a priority can be really a challenge for a many people. Consider the following questions:
- Are you taking enough time for you?
- Are you a yes person?
- Are you always saying yes to everyone else?
- Does that leave you feeling alone or perhaps even resentful?
- Are your personal needs met?
This can feel a little bit like a punch in the gut if the answers are not feeling pleasant. And you may also come up with a ton of reasons of why you cannot make yourself a priority. But what if I told you that life would feel better if you did?
I know it seems crazy when so many demands are placed upon us from work, family and friends making you feel like you have no time to meet your own needs.
Life can be demanding and challenging but is taking care of yourself for 15 minutes a day worth it or would you rather be burned out and grumpy?
When you take care of yourself by doing the things you enjoy, follow your passion or even do nothing at all, you will be happier because it gives you the space to destress, unwind, and rejuvenate.
The biggest hurdle to overcome is feeling guilty because you are putting yourself first. You can’t possibly be and do everything for everyone else all day ever day. Stop feeling guilty because you allow yourself to take care of yourself!
Let me make another point: When you focus on everyone and everything else you are creating a life that feels overwhelming which leads to being angry, resentful, tired and frustrated.
But when you make yourself a priority, you slowly find yourself less frustrated and overwhelmed. So how can you start honoring your needs and bring a little bit more happiness and energy into your life?
- Decide you deserve to be a priority. It teaches others to respect you and your time.
- Decide how you will spend your time. Eliminate unnecessary tasks that could be delegated.
- Evaluate the things that waste your time so you can do more things that matter.
- Learn to say no when you need to say no.
- Ask for help from co-workers, family members and friends
- Schedule the things that are non-negotiable
- Commit to me time daily and make it a ritual!
This can seem like a lot, so start with one thing that will help you prioritize yourself more.
If you need some clarity, then get my free goal setting workbook to help you!
21 Day Self-Love Challenge
This is for you because you are ready to target the most basic but effective elements of self-care. It is a great way to be motivated for consistency and see the amazing benefits that putting the effort into yourself has to offer.