Knowing When You Need Help
One of the most important parts of self-care and growth is knowing when you need help. For example, for physical health, you may consult a personal trainer or dietician to help you reach your goals. The same goes for mental health. When you are having a particularly hard time mentally/emotionally, or are going through a bad situation, a therapist or psychiatrist can be used to help you get through it. So do you know when it’s time to get some help? Keep reading for some tips on knowing when it’s time to talk to someone.
Life isn’t easy for anyone, and there are often that we don’t know if or how we can make it through. This can cause a lot of problems that lead to depression, anxiety, stress, isolation, self-medication, and much more. It is important to be aware of these feelings of helplessness and hopelessness, so you can get the help you need.
These feelings can include:
- Suicidal or self-harming thoughts
- Seeking relief through alcohol or other substances
- Isolating yourself from loved ones
- Pulling your hairs out (trichotillomania)
- Development of eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia
- Being unable to function the way you normally would
- Physical manifestations of mental/emotional distress like constant headaches, stomach aches, heart palpitations, blurred vision, dizziness, and more
- Body dysmorphia (inability to see your body or appearance as it truly is)
- Feeling like you need help
These are some of the most common signs of knowing when it’s time to talk to someone. If you ever start to feel or do any of these things, SEEK HELP IMMEDIATELY. Find a therapist, doctor, psychiatrist, or psychologist that you feel comfortable with, and that can help you and support you as you work through the problems you face. It is also important to speak with the people close to you that you trust so that they can become part of your support system as well. It is OKAY to need help. All you have to do is ask.
SUICIDE HOTLINE: 1-800-273-8255 Call this number at any time that you think about taking yourself from the world. You matter, and you would be missed. The world is better with you in it, so never lose hope.
Never forget that no matter where you are in your mind, there IS a way out, and you CAN have a fulfilling and happy life. You are stronger than you realize, and getting someone to help you is the first step to realizing just how strong you are.