There seems to be a notion to think that the art and it’s creators aren’t essential and I am calling bullshit. Not only is art a method to develop imagination and creativity, is how us artists communicate and express ourselves.
Art in it’s many forms:
- takes you places – it takes you away from your every day doings for a bit
- makes you think – reflection and awareness happens here
- makes you feel something – like anything at all – happiness, joy, sadness
- makes you look – we all can look at the world a bit different
- lasts longer than more things in life – like music it exists seemingly forever
- feels amazing to create – whether its writing a song or a book or make a blanket
- is good for mental health – whether you make it or create it
- it doesn’t really require language – listen to an opera and you’ll know what I mean
- it says things that perhaps you wouldn’t say any other time
Music lives in movies, tv shows and in our streaming devices to help us understand, connect or simply get through the moment.
Paintings express how we feel or want to feel – it shares the darkness and lightness in our minds so many don’t want to acknowledge.
As a creator it’s meditative, expressive and soothing when we get to do our thing and get lost in our art.
As a consumer we are inspired, entertained and can go through the feelings presented to us – be it through a happy song, a comedy or a painting that allows you to feel the joy the artists experienced.
When my son was hospitalized – cartoons got us through the lengthy stays and him entertained. Doodling helped me stay focused while I actively mediated on the outcomes we wanted to achieve – for him, our family as well as for myself. Music helped me cry when I needed the release and it helped me communicate what I was feeling when words didn’t find me.
The art and its creators are essential without it, well there wouldn’t be television, radio or art galleries for that matter.
If the arts wasn’t essential then why are so many people creating it?