I talk about creativity a lot and I want to share some obscure hobbies to peak your interest. I don’t know about you, hobbies like crafts, playing games, or yoga give us a break from the stressors of the world. But I recently came across these hobbies and wanted to share them with you incase you are looking for something different to occupy your time with!
- Tree Shaping – This hobby requires people to make odd shapes out of trees. You can train live trees and other plants of a wood makeup to grow into artistic shapes and useful sculptures. To do this requires a lot of patience and creativity.
- Rock Skipping – We all did this growing up but did you know that a very dedicated person with this hobby set a record at 51 rock skips? For this hobby, all you have to do is throw a flat rock onto the surface of water and try to make it bounce as many times as you can.
- Geocaching – We did this with kids during summer camp one year and this hobby consists of you finding treasures in plastic containers called geocaches which hold special items inside. To find the containers you use either your phone or GPS. People find enjoyment out of this hobby because it gives them the opportunity to explore the world around them. It also provides great exercise.
- Element Collecting – This hobby entails people collecting elements of the periodic table. People typically do this in their own way and of different purities. It’s highly recommended that you do not collect any of the elements that are poisonous, radioactive or a heavy element.
- Taxidermy – It is said that the art of taxidermy is having a comeback from the 1800s when it was most popular. People who take part in this hobby are trying to persuade people that it is not cruel to animals. They see it as though they are saving these animals from being road kill. These people do this type of work out of respect for the animals, not out of cruelty.
- Soap Carving – This hobby is viewed very highly in Thailand. People with this hobby carve unique shapes into soaps and then sell the soaps to people as souvenirs. I think it’s slowly been making its way elsewhere into the world as a trend.
- Collecting Antique Milk Bottles – People who take part in this hobby often collect the milk bottles because it brings back memories from when they were younger and milk was delivered to their home. They do this hobby for enjoyment and for the memories.
People find enjoyment out of doing different things. Some hobbies just aren’t heard of as much as others might be. Whatever your hobby is, though, the only thing that matters is that you get enjoyment out of the things you do in your free time.
I am curious which one of these obscure hobbies to peak your interest you are wanting to give a go?
Peaks of Inspiration
Get clear on why you procrastinate, ditch the excuses and get ready to ride the wave of inspiration!