How to be more positive with these 30 tips
I consider myself quite the optimist, however even I have struggled to stay positive at times because for the longest time nothing felt like it was going right or the way I wanted it too. It all comes down to mindset and changing the way you think.
When you are not used to thinking in positive ways it can be difficult to know where to begin – here are 30 ways you can get started today!
1. When talking, replace negative words with positive words. Instead of saying “This is too hard”, say “I can do this” or “I accept this challenge”.
2. When thinking, use empowering words; those that make you feel strong, happy, motivated and in control.
3. Journal your thoughts. Celebrate your successes. Document and analyze the losses. Find where you went wrong and plan to do better next time. Learn from your mistakes.
4. Counter each negative thought with multiple positive thoughts. When you catch yourself having negative thoughts, take a moment to think two or three positive thoughts.
5. Go somewhere that brings you peace and happiness. This might be a nature walk, a quiet place like a museum that is visually appealing, an area where you listen to music, a park where you can watch kids and pets play happily.
6. Practice positive affirmations. The more you practice, the easier it will become.
7. Forgive yourself for missteps. It happens. The important this is not to dwell on them and keep moving forward.
8. Surround yourself with positive people. The people you surround yourself with have the ability to influence your day-to-day. If you hang out with negative people it will show up in your being as well.
9. Add inspiring visuals and colors to your home and work space. Truly make your home and workspace a reflection of who you are.
10. Look at things from a different point of view. When you can see both sides, you can eliminate a lot of negatively.
11. Laugh aloud and often. There’s always something to laugh about. Smiling and laughing releases ‘feel good’ endorphins in the body.
12. Remember your “why”. Why you are trying to be more positive, what your goals are, how things will be better once you meet your goals, etc.
13. Practice gratitude. When you’re feeling thankful, you’ll feel more positive.
14. Live in the moment. Stop worrying about yesterday or what’s coming. Do what you can do today to get one step closer to reaching your goals.
15. Indulge yourself occasionally. You are working hard to be a more positive person. You deserve a small reward.
16. Carry a funny photo with you. Save a funny video on your phone to give you a boost when you’re feeling down.
17. Look at each challenge as an opportunity to grow. This can be overwhelming but when you can keep the end-goal in mind and your why you’ll find the push to keep going.
18. Relax. Sometimes you just need to step back, breathe deep and relax to get the good vibes flowing again.
19. Get physically active to release more ‘feel good’ endorphins. Anytime you are frustrated or looking for answers to a problem, doing a workout of any kind is not only good for your body – but I often get my best ideas and solutions while working out.
20. Believe in yourself. The only thing keeping you from succeeding is your own negative thoughts. Stop getting in your own way.
21. Stop making excuses and laying blame. Take responsibility for your actions.
22. Observe your thought patterns. Are there certain times of the day when you’re feeling more negative? What can you do to make those times more positive?
23. Ask yourself, does this really matter? Will it matter next week or next month? If not, let it go. This called not sweating the small stuff.
24. Practice proper posture. Standing or sitting up with the back straight, shoulders back and chin up will help the mind and body feel better.
25. Be kind to others. It’s not hard being kind so go ahead compliment a stranger. Do something nice for coworker or friend. Call a family member you haven’t talked to in a while.
26. Read something inspiring every day. Follow those who inspire you most and see what they do each day to make like the best it can be. Follow their lead.
27. Dance and sing. It doesn’t matter if you have two left feet or can’t carry a tune. Crank up the music and give it all you’ve got.
28. Look for the positive. Even in the worst of situations, there’s always something positive if you just look for it.
29. Have a personal mantra. No matter what it is, these will be the words you live by each day that reminds you to be positive.
30. Meditate, do yoga, or color and concentrate on your breathing and relaxing your mind.